Wednesday, November 09, 2011

A Natural History of My 1965 Mustang

Part 1 of 4 Required Essays for my writing class.
Written: October 3rd, 2011

To many people, a car is just a car, solely a mode of transportation to take us from place to place. To me however, my first car is much more than just merely a contraption on wheels, it still remains a physical reminder of who I am. My first car, a 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe which I named nicknamed “Shelby” after the famous Mustang-modifier Carroll Shelby, is a tangible example of my character and personality.

The story of Shelby's restoration starts in early days of January, 2006. I was about to turn 16 in a few months, and I would soon need a car for transportation. I had always had an interest in old classic cars, and had loved the style of the late 60's Mustangs for quite some time. Since my father had a lot of experience in working on older cars, my parents fostered my desire to own an old Mustang, and together we set off on the quest for a car. After a few weeks of searching, we eventually came across “Shelby” and finalized the purchase later that day. We were aware that the car would need a lot of restoration work, and the first thing we decided on was to find a new engine. After what seem like an eternity of searching newspaper and online advertisements, we finally settled upon the perfect engine. It was spotless, had been meticulously taken care of, and was the perfect size and model for my car. After the sale was finalized, Jim, the seller, surprised my dad and I by asking if we would need any help installing the new engine. He then proceeded to offer his time and expertise in classic-car restoration for no additional charge. And thus, the legend of Jim was born.

Now that we had a replacement engine, the process of installation proceeded forward. However, this turned out to be a very difficult process and took a lot more time than we had originally expected and planned for. First, the old engine had to be removed. To accomplish this seemingly simple yet sophisticated task, Jim, my father, and I had set up a plan that involved using a large hydraulic lift to remove the engine. We had started early Saturday morning, and began by removing the bolts from the mounting brackets and disconnecting all the hoses, wires, and belts. When only the engine remained, we proceeded to attempt to lift the engine out. I pulled down on the handle to activate the hydraulic lift, and nothing happens. I tried a second time, but again to no avail. The engine just didn't seem to want to budge. After inspecting the engine mounting brackets, Jim suggested a solution to our problem: lubricant, and plenty of it! After administering a large dose of lubricant to the mounting brackets, we were able lift the engine out. Finally I thought, we were now able to start work on installing the new engine.

Thankfully, the installation of the replacement engine was much easier and went quicker than the process of removing the old one. The new engine fit perfectly into the mounting brackets, the belts lined up to the alternator, all the hoses connected perfectly, and the entire wiring harness just seemed to fit right into place. After having so much trouble earlier in the day, I was greatly relieved that everything was starting to work perfectly, and was overjoyed that we were able to complete the entire installation before sundown that same day. However, my zealous enjoyment would soon come to a close. After the project was complete, Jim asked my dad if we were planning on upgrading the braking system and drivetrain as well. The original engine that the car came with was a V6, but the replacement engine that we had just finished installing was a V8 with significantly more power. My father and I had planned all along on replacing the old engine with a larger one that had more horsepower. However, throughout all of our planning, we had failed to take into account the need for an upgraded braking and drivetrain system. Because of the larger engine, the car now not only had more horsepower, it also weighed significantly more. Jim explained to my father and I that both of those factors lead would lead to an increased strain being put on the brakes, and therefore we needed to upgrade the braking system in order to compensate for it. A larger rear axel was also needed in order to handle the increase in power and torque, and to accommodate the larger drum brakes.

Great, I thought to myself, we had just finished this large daunting project, only to discover that another one awaited us. However, Jim explained to us what parts we needed, and again offered his time and expertise for no charge. It was then that I had learned my first lesson during the restoration process: never give up on your goals even if you encounter minor setbacks. It was during this time that my father impressed upon me an example of a solid work ethic and the importance of finishing any project that you start. He never gave up on our project, and he was always willing to take whichever next step was required.

The installation of the larger rear axel and brake drums went as smoothly as it could have possibly gone. Along with those changes, my dad and I added a few other improvements to the interior of the car, including a new stereo, dash panel, and a center console. During the next couple of months, everything seemed to be great. The engine was purring like a large jungle cat and the new larger brakes were doing their job to slow the car when needed. I loved driving the car around, and every part of the car worked like a charm. That is, until one fateful summer morning when all our hard work went up in flames, literally. On my way to work, a fire broke out in the engine bay and it quickly spread into the area behind the dash panel. Luckily, I was able to escape unharmed and a team of firefighters were quickly on scene. Because of their efforts and rapid response, they were able to contain the fire to just the engine bay and dash panel area. However, almost all of the improvements that my father and I had made to the car during the past few months were ruined. Thankfully, the car was fully insured against all types of damage, and our insurance company paid for all the repair expenses. This time around, the second restoration process would be completed by a professional auto-body shop. Even though the fire and insurance investigators were never able to identify the cause of the fire, my father and I were thankful that this time we weren't the ones doing the work. After 6 more weeks, my Shelby was finally back to working order, and she looked even more beautiful than the day I first bought her.

To this day, my family still owns Shelby the Mustang, even though she is no longer my daily-driving car. I still do occasionally take her for a spin, during the times when I am back home visiting. Even now, every time that I turn that ignition key and hear her engine start to purr, I think back to that long and arduous journey. Throughout the restoration process, my blood, sweat, and tears were shed for the sake of the car. That process of restoration taught me many things, and helped significantly to shape my character and personality. It not only fueled my interest in classic cars, but it also taught me a lot about life. It served as an important series of father/son bonding experiences, in which I developed a good work ethic, as well as the importance in having pride in what you make and accomplish. Jim also taught me the importance of helping others. He consistently went well out of his way to offer his assistance during the restoration process, never asking for anything in return. Unfortunately, Jim passed away in a freak accident in his garage shortly after the restoration process was complete. Even though I was never able to fully thank him for all his hard work and expertise, I know that he passed away doing what he loved: working on classic cars. Of all the things that I had learned as a result of the restoration process, the lesson that I found most important is to always work towards what you are passionate for. For even if you encounter minor setbacks or barriers, if you are doing what you love, then those disturbances just make the successes that much more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment